Name: Sunanta Astorga
Member Since: October 2010
(Gabriela San Francisco from Oct. 2010-April 2014 and Gabriela Seattle April 2014-present)
What Sunanta has done as a GABRIELA member?
- Previously worked as Secretary General on the Executive Committee for Gabriela SF (2011-2012).
- Attended the International League of People’s Struggle (ILPS) Assembly with BAYAN USA, in the Philippines.
- Celebrated 10 years of Gabriela SF (formerly know as: babae) with a grand performance at Diwang Pinay.
- Learned the Money Dance and performed as “Uncle Sam” during the Pagdiriwang Festival.
- Facilitated my first educational discussion during Eskwela ng Gabriela with Gabriela Seattle.
Reason for Joining:
- to find salvation from a life of learning and acting in a mind that’s been colonized; curious of how to undo it.
- to seek out truth of my queer Filipina American identity.
- to join heart to heart with other Pin@ys who may share similar struggles.
- to deepen my understanding of the root causes tied to systematic oppression in the United States and the Philippines.
- to create a home away from home.
Expo Trip Dates: July 4, 2011 – July 28, 2011
Things she’s good at: being there for you when you need me, warm hugs, acting silly as in humor, providing ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis) therapy, doing tricks with soap bubbles, basketball, swimming, and just chillin.
Why this work is meaningful to Sunanta: because, for the love that it shares, I know that wherever I may be in life- physically/mentally/spiritually…there’s a Gabriela there for me. Ever-evolving is the work being done collectively, and witnessing the growth of all kasamas is amazing. The work serves in honor towards our loved ones who have struggled before us. In action, it’s the art of giving back and showing that you truly care for others and yourself.
When she’s not working for the movement, where can we find Sunanta / what can we find Sunanta doing?:
- in California spending time with loved ones.
- doing therapy work with children on the autism spectrum.
- in a forest, on top a mountain, near a lake, in the water, on the beach.
- relaxing, meditating, enjoying your presence.
P.O. Box 18045
Seattle, WA 98118