Name: Precious Butiu
Member Since: November 2008 (GABRIELA Los Angeles member from Aug. 2009-Aug. 2010)
What Precious has done as a GABRIELA member:
- Directed cultural events, led and accompanied on guitar our Pin@y choir at organizing events, arts festivals, and weddings
- Have been on the Executive Committee (currently Chair) for 2 years
- Facilitated educational workshops on human trafficking and migration
- Spoke at my first rally for International Women’s Day March 8, 2014
Reason for Joining: I wanted to get in touch with my Filipina roots with an organization committed to social change and human rights. I also wanted to use my theater and musical background which I was able to do when I first joined through co-directing and performing in Diwang Pinay.
Expo Trip Dates: Nov. 14 – Dec. 3, 2013
Things she’s good at: cultural work, fundraising, coordinating events, singing, playing guitar, acting, directing
Why this work is meaningful to Precious: It connects my family’s immigration story as part of the larger picture of why so many Filipinos are forced to leave their homeland. My experience as a Filipina in the U.S. unites me to others in GAB Seattle and Filipinas worldwide.
When she’s not working for the movement, where can we find Precious / what can we find Precious doing? I do administrative and development work for a non-profit research org downtown, serve at the monthly pop-up Food & Sh*t, cooking and occasionally baking at home, hanging with my partner, Doug.
* Precious has been serving as the Chair of Gabriela Seattle since May 2014.
P.O. Box 18045
Seattle, WA 98118